I really liked the 1024X768 compressed mode that was available in XP. So after a ton of reloading non-standard drivers, loosing Areo, etc, etc... I finally found the solution. It was there all along!!!
The win7 Intel mobile 945 chipset HAS this and MORE!
Once you have the drivers installed correctly it is just an easy REGEDIT Change.
- Back Up your registry (if you don't know, google it)
- Run "REGEDIT"
- Click on "Computer" in the LEFT window
- On the menu, select "Edit", "Find"
- Enter "Display1_DownScalingSupported" into the "Find What:" Box
- Click "Find Next" and WAIT>>>>>>>.......
- BE CAREFUL there are MORE than one entry with the same name, so You MUST find and change EACH Instance
- Upon a find, double click the "Display1_DownScalingSupported" and change the value to a "1" and hit <ENTER>
- Scroll down in the same section and double click on "Display1_EnableDynamicScaling" and change the value to a "1" and hit <ENTER>
- Now HIT <F3> (to search again)
- then repeat #8 & #9 & #10, untill ALL instances are changed.
- Exit Regedit
1024 X 768 (compressed)
1152 X 864
eeepc (stock) 1000he Now with win7